Miss Olivia is somewhat of a naughty baby. I question if other babies are like this??? I am not sure if this is what colic is all about. Let us first discuss her crying. I thought she was spoiled. Every time I set her down she screamed. I would pick her up and it would stop. I made sure all the standard complaints were met (feeding, diaper, burping, etc). I would hold her until she fell asleep and put her in her bassinet or swing. Within 30 sec she would wake up and scream again. I would try to comfort her with a pacifer and talking to her without picking her up. Over a week and for hours we would try this. The RESULT: screaming. I have tried all the advice from the internet and friends: swaddling, baby massage, music, gas drops, Gripe Water, Catnip and Fennel, warm blanket from the dryer. None of which I get anywhere. She is quite content as long as I am holding her. Again I listened to lots of advice of people telling me to "break" her of this. After 8-10 hrs a day for a week I don't think she is capable of being "broken" she doesn't get it! At one point during the breaking process I put her in the swing tucked blankets around her. She was fussy but not hysterical. I had to go to the bathroom so I left and when I returned "CRAZY PANTS" (that's what I call her when she turns evil angry) had thrown her blankets off, kicked one shoe, thrown her cuddly animal, and had managed to get herself almost on the ground. ADD on top SCREAMING! I made a decision that moment that I had given up. I would put her in the carrier and carry her butt around all day! I realize some parents do not agree with this idea but I don't know what else to try.
Yesterday we went to the dr because her eye was watering a lot and getting yellow stuff on it. I didn't think it was infected but I wanted to make sure. The dr agreed it was not infected but she has a blocked tear duct. Nothing you can do for it but keep it cleaned and it will clear up on its own. I spoke to the dr about the 2 yr old tantrums and she assured me that under 3 months you can't "break" a baby. They don't have short term memory. She said she most likely likes the comfort of being held and the warmth. She encouraged me to keep trying to lay her down once she is asleep but until 3 months she is not capable of understanding. I guess my new life involves her being attached to me.
Good news from the dr was that she was doing great otherwise. She is getting chubby at a whopping 9 lbs 11 oz. I thought 3 lbs in 5 weeks was pretty good. Takes after mom, during pregnancy 9 lbs in 4 weeks!!!
Another discouraging issue: How freaking fat I still am? I again ask all you moms out there, how long did it take to get the weight off? I don't know if it is only the skinny b*tches out there that brag about losing the weight fast or if it is truly the difference of breastfeeding. I am five weeks out and still have a lingering 20 lbs. I gained a total of 35 lbs. Now if we do the math: Olivia 7 1/2 lbs, Placenta 5 lbs, water 3lbs= approx 15 lbs. Yes that does make sense but I thought I would lose some in the five weeks of starving myself. Ok only 3 of those did I start starving myself. I have been eating 1000 calories a day and trying to stay busy (remember I have a baby that screams all day! lol) I have been walking but I can't face other exercise given my stomach muscles still hurt to sit up from the c section.
So this blog entry turned into a complain fest but seriously??? Mom advice would be appreciated.
I am a little discouraged about her behavior. So moms out there: WHAT'S your take on this issue? Any suggestions?
For your entertainment value I have included the picture from her throwing herself out of the swing. I also included a happy picture of her on tummy time. ( Just to remind myself that she doesn't cry all the time)
5 comments:
I'm glad Olivia is doing well! About the holding her issue, well I'm on the other side of the thought pool. I don't think you can spoil a baby by holding them "too" much. I think holding them when they are in need of your comfort only strengthens that bond. It turns out that the name of this school of thought is often referred to as attachment parenting. So being attached is true. :) I held Collin ALL the time. My thinking is that it REALLY does go by SO fast. And it really will be a blip of time in the long run. BUT, I'm not saying parents who follow the other method of wrong - ultimately you have to do what feels right to you and what you feel is right for your own kiddo.
About the weight...I think it takes longer than what you're hoping. At least from my experience, it didn't come off that fast. It took a while and I'm sure I'm still carrying a bit of it in my belly. But it will happen!
If this advice happens not to suit you, no need to use it. :)
And uh, sorry this was SO long!
Paige
Keep your head up. Nycci! You're doing a wonderful job and it will get easier! As for the crying/holding/"breaking" dilemma, I'm with Paige. And I'll put my psychology training behind it. You cannot spoil an infant. This won't last forever - she'll discover new ways to be soothed and mama will get a little break. You're doing great! She's beautiful!
Hang in there it will all get eaiser. But i do agree with Paige and Lindsey; you cant spoil a new born. I also agree that it goes by so fast so why not take time to hold her and cherish those moments.
And the weight thing it will come off Nycci you just need to give it alot more time. I have several friends that it has taken 9 to 12 months to lose it all and they are twigs. Remeber it took almost 10 months to put this weight on; at least give yourself that long to take it off. It also takes a little more time than normal to lose weight from a c-section than it does from regular birth. I know you will lose it don't get dicouraged.
I think you're doing everything fine. Being a new mom is trial and error. I hd to have Landon in a carrier most of the time if I wanted to get anything done. He only slept with me or in his swing. It'll get easier as she gets older.
Make sure you don't starve yourself. You all need a healthy mom with lots of energy. Lacy has a blog and had a c section you might ask what she did. Unfortunately I think the weight is always slower than we'd like. Three years later I think I'm still carrying my pregnant butt. With warm weather comes outside activities, it'll come in time. Even try using Olivia as your weights so you get exercise while she gets mommy.
She's so cute! I love the smiling tummy time picture.
I'm with everyone else, every baby and every situation is different. I think there are some really good parts to attachment parenting. I completely that you can't spoil a newborn.
I do think it's important for your baby to eventually learn to comfort herself, but right now your doctor is right. Wear her in a Moby or a front carrier or sling. She'll be happy and you'll be able to get so much more done. I'll send you mine to use if you don't want to buy a Moby. I totally loved it when Jayci was little.
Oooh the weight. Seriously, do not worry about it. I nursed for forever and nursing plays a huge roll in helping it come off (hello extra 300-500 calories burned per day!). But you just need to take it easy and walk right now so your incision heals properly and you can regain your strength in your core. I definitely have a huge pooch that won't go away still and Jayci is 18 months! The weight will come off soon though, I promise.
Post a Comment